Module 1 – SLP
INTRODUCTION TO GRADUATE STUDIES
Know How to Effectively Research
This module is a hands-on exercise to master research in Trident’s Online Library (accessed at the top left of the TLC Portal home page), and on the Internet. You will also learn how to create a research paper using APA format, citation, and referencing.
Review required readings for Module 1 before starting this assignment. Published materials will provide guidance on referencing, formatting, and using the Trident Online Library.
SLP Assignment: Internet Privacy
The subject of Internet privacy is broad and controversial and is the epitome of modern-day debate. The assignment requires research and attribution and cannot be based on opinion or personal experience.
Here are some subject areas that you can research:
• Social media posts that lead to an employee being fired
• Companies secretly collecting and selling information about your online behaviors
• Using social media to identify protesters
• Censorship in the United States or overseas
• Minors using social media
• Crowdsourcing to identify suspects of a crime
• Loss of privacy when using free Wi-Fi
• Employers requiring job applicants and employees to turn over passwords to private social media accounts
Alternative topic ideas must be approved by your instructor by the end of Week 1. This allows enough time to complete the assignment by deadline.
The finished assignment will be 1 page long. The reason this is a 1-page paper is to ensure that you spend time and energy learning to research different types of sources, and have a finished product that reflects your voice that is properly formatted using APA. No quotations are permitted in this submission.
Goal: Provide an overview of the aspect of “Internet Privacy” you have selected.
Research Requirements: You must use all four types of resources below:
• The following book: Business Ethics: A Stakeholder and Issues Management Approach by Joseph Weiss, published in 2014, available in the EBSCO eBook Collection in the Trident Online Library.
• A scholarly journal article from Business Source Complete (EBSCO). (See module resources to identify this type of source.)
• A periodical article from ProQuest Central.
• A resource found through an internet search.
Analysis: In the Appendix of the paper, you will provide feedback on the resources you used.
• Weiss book: Explain how you found the book in Trident’s library. Assess the ease of use of the ebook.
• Business Source Complete (EBSCO): How did you know that the article was scholarly? What attributes told you this?
• ProQuest Central: How was this type of article different from the scholarly one? Explain the process you used with regard to search terms.
• Internet Source: How did you determine that the Web resource was appropriate for a graduate-level paper? Was the author or source legitimate? Explain.
SLP Assignment Expectations
Effective academic and research writing requires a third-person voice. This SLP will be written in the third person. Do not use any quotations. For more information see Differences Between First and Third Person. Since you are engaging in research, be sure to cite and reference the sources in APA format. Note: the Analysis in the Appendix may be written in the first person.
Use the attached APA-formatted template (ETH501 SLP1) to create your submission.
Your submission will include:
• Trident University International’s cover page
• A 1-page paper with APA citations (one-sentence introduction, body, one-sentence conclusion)
• The reference list in APA format
• Appendix explaining how research was done and how sources were chosen
Module 1 – SLP